Photo Copyright John Kelly

Friday, May 6, 2011

Go Time!!

I can’t believe it’s been four months since I updated my blog... Seriously? It's a good thing ski season was lackluster I guess! :) (Though I did learn some important tidbits that I will share at some point down the road.) I don’t really make New Year’s “resolutions,” and didn’t this year, but said that, unofficially, if I WAS going to make one, it would be to do more things for myself. That would include writing more on my blog, because I enjoy writing about topics I am passionate about. But, alas, life has been getting in the way yet again. Or, more specifically work -- and writing about topics that I don’t have much choice about.

Anyhow, here I am laying down an update on the “eve” of my biggest race of this year, Ironman St. George. Maybe I chose to write tonight because, honestly, I’m kinda freaking out, so to speak, and hey, why not document that...?!

My mind is sort of a jumble of thoughts and hyper-intense emotions, from angst to nervousness to total excitement. It’s a little overwhelming! While my nerves have been going up and down all day today, they have definitely been intersected by moments of feeling totally pumped up and like I cannot wait for tomorrow!

Right now, as I write this, it is just nerves. But I’m sure once that alarm goes off bright and early in the 3 o’clock hour, I will be ready to do it big!

I have high expectations for tomorrow. I’ll go ahead and throw it out there. I will even say, for the first time in writing, that my goal is to qualify for Kona. Yep, writing it out definitely seals the deal. That is what I want, what I will be gunning for tomorrow, and what I have been setting my sights on – and pushing myself for – since last triathlon season ended.

This is my “A” race -- go time; no holding back.

I will also be honest and say, though, that qualifying for Kona is a lofty goal. Since I turn 25 in December, before the “race age” cutoff of Dec. 31, I have to race up in the 25-29 age group, which is arguably the toughest one. And seeing some of the girls here has admittedly made me a little bit intimidated. They look super strong!

But, I know I am strong too. And I am ready. And I want it, and I will race that way tomorrow. And in the end – and what I keep telling myself is – all I can do is go out there and lay EVERYTHING out on the course. And if I race with passion and race with guts, I don’t see how there’s any way I won’t do that. And if that gets me a PR, or my goal time of sub-11 hours, or a qualifying spot in Kona, then all the better.

Right now all I can do is tell myself that I am prepared. My season has started off great. I am in better shape than ever. And I am driven for this day.

And tomorrow, what I WILL do is go out there and give everything I can to prove that.

Number 67 woop woop!


I am READY!